Here are several reasons to become a member:
- As a member, you will automatically receive the Society´s journal, Scientific Study of Literature (SSOL), which publishes two issues every year.
- Membership provides you with discounted registration at IGEL’s biennial conferences.
- Members are entitled (and encouraged) to participate in the Society’s governance. Both the regular business meeting and the elections of members of the Governing Board are coordinated with the biennial conferences.
- The Society maintains an email list that includes all of its members. Membership enables you to use this list to connect with active scholars and researchers, as well as to forward calls for papers, post announcements, etc., within the IGEL community.
- The Society organizes training schools and workshops designed to develop the knowledge and skills required for empirical studies—and ensure that empirical studies have strong theoretical grounding. This is a unique opportunity, especially for early career researchers, to strengthen their investigative efforts!
The Society has adjusted its membership policy to improve the balance between costs and income (especially in off-conference years). The annual fees now are €70 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions) and €50 for discount members (students). It is also possible to obtain a two-year membership at a lower annual rate. The two-year fees are €120 for regular members and €80 for discount members.
As IGEL we want to make a better effort to be more inclusive. Students and early career researchers from economically disadvantaged countries can apply for a discount on registration costs (even on top of the student member discounts). Please contact our treasurer for inquiries.
To become a new member or to renew your membership, the following membership fees apply:
- €70 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions);
- €50 for discount members (students, retirees, and others without regular income )
- €120 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions);
- €80 for discount members (students, retirees, and others without regular income )
You may pay your membership fee either by credit card and other direct payment methods (via Stripe, on this page) or by arranging for a bank transfer. Please choose one of these two forms of payment:
Option #1: Money transfer to the IGEL bank account:
Account holder: International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature IBAN: NL53 TRIO 0390 9278 05 BIC/SWIFT: TRIONL2U
Option #2: Credit card and other direct payment methods (Apple Pay, Google Pay, giropay, iDEAL and SEPA debit)Pay now